[CM] Newbie learning. . . . CM / CLM-3 / SND / Scheme???

Joseph Anderson J.Anderson@hull.ac.uk
Fri, 25 May 2007 12:45:40 +0100

--MIRAPOINT_PART1_4656cc64

Hello All,

This may be more an existential than anything. . . (and whether I've =
posted this before, my goldfish memory), and I'm writing this after a =
conversation I had with Bret Battey, yesterday. . .

I'm a dyed in the wool "tape" music composer with a lot of experience =
with Music V typle languages. My last big pieces were all made using =
SuperCollider2 in it's non-realtime mode, and I have a fairly large set =
of tools written as SC2 UGens. The move to SC3, with it's focus on a =
realtime paradigm, has left a lot to be desired from my point of view. =
Simple tasks that were easy for the sorts of things I'm interested in =
doing are now much more difficult--and some are inexcessable without =
resorting to writing in C++, which seems to scupper the whole point of a =
dedicated computer music language IMV. I'm well committed to working in =
a non-realtime way. I like to set up a batch, run lots of variations =
overnight and then choose the best bits the next day.

I've been doing a bit of twiddling with Rick's CM.app, and have begun =
porting some of my SC3 code to clm-3. I will have to say that I'm not =
finding a move to clm to be particularly easy. I'd like to be able to =
find tutorial material equivalent to the sorts of things available for =
SC2/SC3--but haven't turned up anything like Cottle's SC3 material.

So, I'm hoping the list can point me to tutorials on working with cm, =
and particularly clm. In particular, I'm not terribly clear on the =
system model. That is compounded by the fact that I'm new to lisp as =
well.

Ok, so the existential bit. . . . for a newbie to the clm world, is =
clm/cm the suggested way forward, or are these things intended to be =
replaced by Snd? I do see the note on the Snd page:

"CLM-in-CL users will be disappointed with the CLM-in-Scheme =
performance; my tests indicate that interpreted Scheme (as in Snd =
currently) is about 30 to 100 times slower than CLM instruments using =
the run macro. "

Which makes me think I probably want to be in clm rather than Snd.

What about Scheme? Guile/Snd?

Is it best to go just press ahead with CM.app? Again, any help for =
pointers on getting up to speed (tutorials!) with working with clm?

Apologies if this sounds unfocused and rambling. Thanks for the advice.

Jo

--MIRAPOINT_PART1_4656cc64

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to http://www.hull.ac.uk/legal/email_disclaimer.html
--MIRAPOINT_PART1_4656cc64--