[CM] just intonation

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb@cesmail.net
Mon, 09 Jul 2007 21:20:36 -0700

Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
>> can anyone tell me how I would create an arpeggio that goes through a just intonation scale ?
>
> First you need an instrument -- the fm-violin is a good choice. So,
> compile v.ins and load v.  Next put your frequencies in an array,
> then
>
>   (with-sound () (loop for i from 0 to 7 do (fm-violin i 1 (aref pitches i) .1)))
>
> scales.cl might be of interest.

If you're seriously interested in just intonation and microtonality (and
fm-violins) I'd recommend getting a copy of William Sethares' "Tuning,
Timbre, Spectrum, Scale", 2nd edition. He's got a whole chapter on
scales that sound good with FM instruments, and I don't recall just
intonation being one of them.