[CM] Re: More XP & CLM

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb@cesmail.net
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:01:20 -0800

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:
> 3. There *is* a native Windows port of CSound 5. Much as I dislike the
>> CSound syntax, it is a de facto standard for synthesis software and
>> Common Music interfaces to it. There are also many wrappers available
>> for CSound 5. If the original poster doesn't already have CSound 5, he
>> or she should check it out. As a side note, I haven't been able to get
>> the source version of it to build on my Gentoo system successfully, but
>> the binary Linux distribution runs fine. Another project for another
>> weekend. :)
>>

> Hmm, personally, due to CSound's syntax, I would rather implement a new
> Lisp to run CLM in, than using CSound.

Yeah ... I was *so* hoping "sfront" and MPEG-4 Structured Audio would
take off and supplant CSound, but it hasn't so far.
>> In any event, I think just for the sake of doing it, I'm going to build
>> a CCRMA virtual machine and see how big it is with the whole tool chain
>> installed. It would be useless for real time, but it's very easy to do:
>>

> I'm not so sure it would be useless for real time. My experience
> is that running windows audio software in vmware on linux works just fine
> in realtime...

Well, I got ambitious ... downloaded the Fedora Core 5 DVD iso image and
I'm building the virtual machine even as we speak. :) Fedora is telling
me I'll be done in 20 minutes, and then I'll boot it up, install Planet
CCRMA and see how big it is. Anybody here want to host the image file?? :)

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/