[CM] Re: More XP & CLM

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen@notam02.no
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:32:15 +0100 (CET)

"M. Edward (Ed) Borasky":

> 2. Common Lisp Music, on the other hand, *is* a real-time application.
> As such, I would expect only a native port to provide acceptable
> performance. Running this under VMware would probably be a disaster, and
> it might work on Cygwin, but I personally wouldn't waste the developer
> cycles given 3 below.

CLM is not a real-time application. CLM functions can be run in realtime
when using the realtime extension for SND though.

> 3. There *is* a native Windows port of CSound 5. Much as I dislike the
> CSound syntax, it is a de facto standard for synthesis software and
> Common Music interfaces to it. There are also many wrappers available
> for CSound 5. If the original poster doesn't already have CSound 5, he
> or she should check it out. As a side note, I haven't been able to get
> the source version of it to build on my Gentoo system successfully, but
> the binary Linux distribution runs fine. Another project for another
> weekend. :)

Hmm, personally, due to CSound's syntax, I would rather implement a new
Lisp to run CLM in, than using CSound.

> In any event, I think just for the sake of doing it, I'm going to build
> a CCRMA virtual machine and see how big it is with the whole tool chain
> installed. It would be useless for real time, but it's very easy to do:

I'm not so sure it would be useless for real time. My experience
is that running windows audio software in vmware on linux works just fine
in realtime...