[CM] More XP & CLM

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb@cesmail.net
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:25:31 -0800

Rick Taube wrote:
>> 3. There *is* a native Windows port of CSound 5. Much as I dislike
>> the CSound syntax, it is a de facto standard for synthesis software
>> and Common Music interfaces to it.
>
> Im not sure what the status is of the CFFI interface to Csound
> actually is -- I know that some work was done on it, and its been on
> my (infinite) todo list to look into this. (I would happy to add
> whatever is needed to get cm <-> csound5 running well in realtime)
Despite the name "CSound", IIRC most of the grunt-work in CSound 5 is
done in Python, not C.

In any event, I think just for the sake of doing it, I'm going to build
a CCRMA virtual machine and see how big it is with the whole tool chain
installed. It would be useless for real time, but it's very easy to do:

1. Install the free VMware Server.
2. Build a virtual machine
3. Install the right version of Fedora
4. Install CCRMA
5. Make a tarball from the directory. That part takes forever, but if
you're going to be shipping the thing around on the net, you have to do
that. Actually, rather than a tarball, I usually make a ZIP archive for
the Windows folks, since Linux has "unzip" available.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/