[CM] More XP & CLM

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb@cesmail.net
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:17:17 -0800

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Alas, by this time I've forgotten what it's like to work with Windows,
> and I know nothing about setting up a development environment. I am
> considering setting up a machine to test and use Windows music and
> sound software, but I doubt I'll have the time to dedicate to
> development on that box.
My friends on the Ruby language list believe, and I agree, that one
should always use the native development tools if possible. While Ruby
and its trappings do work and work well under Cygwin, Cygwin is
deprecated and the preferred tool set is Visual Studio. Unfortunately, a
number of the C-language extensions won't compile and link correctly
with Visual Studio, and Visual Studio Express is "free as in beer" only.
So there is that bit of tension in developing in Ruby for Windows. I
should point out that the vast majority of "real Ruby developers" work
on Macs. :)

In any event, a Windows "native" development environment for the amateur
would center around Visual Studio Express. If one were also using
scripting languages (Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, etc.) it would include the
recently released free-as-in-beer ActiveState Komodo Editor 4.
(Actually, it's still in beta, but it's in reasonable shape). If one
were a "vi" addict it would include GVim and if one were an Emacs person
it would include Emacs. If you need or want Perl, Python, or Tcl/Tk, it
would include the ActiveState free-as-in-beer ports of those. I'm not an
expert on Lisp on Windows -- I don't even remember which Lisps and
Schemes have native Windows ports, but there must be at least one of each.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/