[CM] Building applications with CM?

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 08:58:18 -0500

> What possibillities are there to develop "Applications" based on
> Common Music?

if you look on cm's sourceforge File Release page you will see that
for osx i save an "application" version of the stable cm branch that
works out-of-the-box if you have Aquamacs Emacs installed. (I dont do
this for linux because these folks are generally comfortable
assembling software  from scratch). this could be done for the
unstable-branch as well if some mechanism were added to auto-download
newer sources under the application (M-x update-system cm clm ) ??

> The Idea is to build something (with some kind of gui maybe) i
> could pass on to my friends to play around with,
> without having them to mess with stuff like Lisp compilers, the
> common music sources etcetera...

A laudable goal, however Emacs and Lisp syntax will be HUGE hurdles
for people (non-technical composers) that want to learn about
algorithmic composition, in my opinon your wish to "pass on to my
friends to play around with" is very optimistic... I have very
intelligent students that -- even after a semeseter's study -- are
still frustrated trying to express even simple ideas in the emacs/
lisp environment. but go for it! the holy-grail would be a cross-
platform, non-emacs "gui" that integrated graphics (plotting and
notation) with text-based algorithmic development with/without lisp
syntax. A few years ago I had really hoped that gtk would be the
answer for the GUI side and i actually started this work, but even
now there is still no native version on osx and i wont do any more
gtk until i see at least that (in my lab cm's gtk gui takes more than
a minute to open a window, its a joke) SO im in a holding pattern for
gui work, as usual. in the meantime two true cross-platform gui tool
kits have surfacec that might allow some way to move foward: wx and
JUCE. JUCE look particularly interesting. and FOMUS does an amazingly
good job of translating generated events into a notation. so perhaps
the pieces are there.