[CM] Re: Real-time CLM

David O'Toole dto@gnu.org
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:26:40 -0400

rm@tuxteam.de writes:

> Just out of curiosity: to me it looks a bit like you reinvent the wheel
> - why don't you base your application on the fine McCLIM framework.
>   You'd get all sorts of widgets for free, _including_ a cool Lisp
> Listener/REPL and graph drawing widgets. From what i understand you seem
> to go for some kind of presentation based user interface (a.k. Lisp
> Machines or CLIM). McCLIM gives you all of this (and a promising Emacs
> clone in Common Lisp).

I'm not fond of general-purpose GUI toolkits. I find most of them
rather heavyweight and slow... not always the best thing if your
realtime audio process is competing for CPU. I would prefer to just do
things with direct CLX calls, and I find CLX very easy to work with.

With most of the UI implemented, all of CL-FRAME is only about 1000
lines, so if I've reinvented the wheel, it's a small wheel :-)

--
David O'Toole
dto@gnu.org