[CM] clm on os x

Joseph Anderson J.Anderson@hull.ac.uk
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:43:25 +0100

--MIRAPOINT_PART1_4534c1c0

Hi All,=20

Just looking for a little orientation for a clm newbie in getting things =
running happy on os x.

I've downloaded CM.app 2.8 from =
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/commonmusic.

For emacs am using Aquamacs 0.9.8.

Things run fine, but I'm having a bit of trouble with working out how to =
use emacs as a file editor with all the benefits of indentation and =
completion.

I've been looking at the intro tutorial put together by Matt Wright & =
Fernando Lopez-Lezcano at=20
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/courses/220b/intro/220b-environment-tutorial.ht=
ml. (See excerpt below.)

The trouble I'm having, is replicating the behaviour described in step 6 =
of their tutorial. For me, C-X C-F doesn't exactly do what I'm =
expecting. It does open up a NEW window (not using the split window) =
with "Emacs - *Minibuf-1*" at the top and "Find file:/" at the bottom. =
Typing a file name "mysound.lisp", in the new window, the (Lisp Slime) =
mode is listed at the bottom of the window.

However, in this new window, I'm not getting the "nice features of =
SLIME, including paren blinking, automatic indentation, automatic =
documentation retrieval, and tab completion". So, what am I doing wrong =
here? I do get all the "nice features" if I stay in my original =
*slime-repl openmcl* window. All these nice features do seem to be the =
point of working in emacs to begin with.

Thanks for the help.

J Anderson

Number 6 from Matt Wright & Fernando Lopez-Lezcano tutorial:

6) Writing Programs in Emacs

Split Emacs into two vertical windows with C-X 2. In one window, use C-X =
C-F to open a new file called mysound.lisp. Because the name of the file =
you're working on ends in ".lisp", Emacs figured out that you're going =
to type a Lisp program, and so the mode of that buffer is "(Lisp =
Slime)". Even though this isn't the SLIME REPL buffer where you talk to =
Lisp, you'll get a lot of the nice features of SLIME, including paren =
blinking, automatic indentation, automatic documentation retrieval, and =
tab completion.

Type your own little Lisp program into this buffer, with a call to =
with-sound and one or more calls to fm-violin.

When you're ready to try your program, put the cursor inside it =
somewhere and type C-M-x. This will send your program to Lisp. If =
there's an error it will bring up the debugger as before. Otherwise, =
your program will run, and you'll see the return value (which will =
probably be the string "test.snd") at the very bottom of Emacs.

Another way to run your program is to save the file (C-X s) and then =
load it into Lisp:

(load "mysound.lisp")

You can also explicitly copy and paste between the buffer that contains =
your file and the SLIME REPL buffer, M-C-k is super useful, because it =
cuts an entire Lisp expression (i.e., a complete set of balanced =
parentheses and everything between them).
--MIRAPOINT_PART1_4534c1c0

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to http://www.hull.ac.uk/legal/email_disclaimer.html
--MIRAPOINT_PART1_4534c1c0--