[CM] Snd-8(.5) questions (newbie)

Ralf Mattes rm@seid-online.de
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:34:39 +0200

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 14:21 +0200, Jacek M. Holeczek wrote:
> Hi,
> first, let me say that I'm a complete newbie, what concerns sound editing.
>
> I've just installed (from cvs) the current Snd (with Guile-1.6.4).
>
> Here come my "newbie" questions. Sorry about these questions, but after
> reading the manual, I still don't know the answers.

[Snip ... snip .. snip]

> Finally, I need your advice in the following matter.
> This is, in principle, what I am really interested in and why I need to
> "edit" my sounds.
>
> In principle, using a Linux machine with a simple soundcard, I would like
> to record four independent tracks (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass). Each of
> them would be "mono" (1 channel), in separate "wav" files.
> Assume now that I synchronized these files adding appropriate "silence" in
> the beginning of all of them (different amount for different tracks).
> >From these four "independent" mono tracks, I would like to produce a
> "stereo" file (2 channels). In "professional live" recordings, you can
> actually "hear" that one guy is staying left to you, another one right to
> you, and so on ... and this is exactly what I would like to achieve, too.
> I would like to "hear" the Soprano most left, Alto left-middle, Tenor
> right-middle, Bass most right ...
> Being completely new to this business, i have no idea how to achieve it.

Hmm, i wounder whether it might be easier to use a sound recording tool
for this task: have you had a look at ardour?
With ardour you could do exactly the kind of editing you describe -
import WAV data, slice 'n dice and move around and position the channels
with a nice graphical GUI.

 HTH Ralf Mattes

P.S: This is not to say that snd can't handle that job, i just feel that
ardour would be the more natural choice for this task ...