[CM] Crack Noise (snd-8.1)

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri, 26 May 2006 13:29:45 -0700 (PDT)

Esben Stien:
>> I'm getting terrible crackling
>
>I've always had this problem to some degree and I've talked to other
>users who experience the same.
>
>Is the JACK code supposed to be stable and work correctly?

Yes, it should work correctly. I am very sure that it does.
However, buffer underruns are not uncommon, and you
get a message about those to the terminal. Do you?
In case, setting the dac-size to at least 2048 helps some,
(set! (dac-size) 2048), but another solution is to use snd-ls, which use a
different playing routine that works much better.

Another cause of crackling could be that you are setting the volume too
high. Internally, snd use floats by default, but the jack backend only
receives 16 bits sounds (I don't know why, it can receive floats, but
snd sends 16 bits integers instead)), which cause crackling sounds. To
fix that, turn down the volume in the control panel.