[CM] rts

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:08:04 -0600

well i dont mean give up TOTALLY, just (possibly)  try a different
solution. trying to do it all in 100% lisp is really hard, its like
working with one hand tied behind your back. as it stands rts seems
to work really well only in openmcl.

maybe moving the rts scheduler to C and using callbacks to eval
musical processes that get registered from lisp is a better way to
go. im trying run some tests right now as a mater of fact. if it
worked there would be some huge advantages:

-rts could run in every cffi/common lisp and any scheme with callbacks
-have complete control over process pioroty etc
-give conless scheduling in lisp and no boxing/unboxing doubles

since we already have a good model for rts scheduling it probably
isnt hard to move it to C.  of course my c abilities are really poor
-- it took me 2 hours to figure out how to do a Makefile that creates
a .dylib :/ but as of 1 hour ago i was able to sprout my first
ptheads in cmucl sbcl and openmcl on darwin and get rts time from c.
progress!!