[CM] No Auto Connect

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:55:06 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 andersvi@extern.uio.no wrote:

> K> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>>> On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 21:01 -0800, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>
> K> This sounds very theoretical to me... Have you ever
> K> disconnected the the output of snd (or other programs using
> K> sndlib) from the soundcard?
>
> I find im doing this all the time, feeding SNDs output into
> analysis/processing/plugin apps or whatever.

Well, actually, I do that too sometimes. But I wonder, isn't
it more work to: 1. Set an environment variable, 2. start snd,
and 3. connect snd's output to another program in qjackctl, than:
1. start snd, 2. Disconnect snd from physical output in qjackctl and 3.
Connect snd's output to another program in qjackctl.

I'm pretty sure the current behaviour is the most efficient one
of those two. Perhaps there are other ways?

>>> An option for that would be great...
> K> Okey, is MUS_JACK_DONT_AUTOCONNECT an okey name for an
> K> enviornment variable for this?
>
> Fine.
>
> If sound could also read MUS_JACK_DEFAULT_INPUTS and
> MUS_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS and use a list of something along the
> lines of
>
> $MUS_JACK_DEFAULT_INPUTS:
>
>  '("alsa_pcm:capture_1" "alsa_pcm:capture_2")
>
> $MUS_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS:
>
>  '("alsa_pcm:playback_1" "alsa_pcm:playback_2"
>    "alsa_pcm:playback_3" "alsa_pcm:playback_4"
>    "alsa_pcm:playback_5" "alsa_pcm:playback_6"
>    "alsa_pcm:playback_7" "alsa_pcm:playback_8"
>    "alsa_pcm:playback_9" "alsa_pcm:playback_10")
>
> - its getting flexible.

Trouble is that the jack code connects before doing scheme things. I guess
it can be changed not to do that, if giving some option, but it won't be
very easy.

Having environment variables, on the other hand, is extremely trivial
to implement:

MUS_JACK_DEFAULT_INPUTS=alsa_pcm_capture*
MUS_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS=alsa_pcm_playback*

...since the jack port finder function accepts regexp strings.