[CM] cmn factorize

Timothy Ernest Johnson tejohnso@uiuc.edu
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:47:29 -0700

hi. i'm new to the list -- just a comment about the notation
issue:

yes, on p. 212, example 11-24 there is a nested tuplet figure
with 3 triplet 16ths inside of one triplet 8th. i think the
reason for only two beams is that each tuplet level only
relates to the previous level -- so that the triplet 16ths
only relate to the triplet 8th notes as if they were the
prevailing meter (they know nothing of other levels)

however if we had 9 16ths as a single group this would be
relating to the 16ths at the 'bottom' level and therefore
would clearly be 9:8 and would require three beams.