[CM] cmn factorize

Dave Phillips dlphillips@woh.rr.com
Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:23:55 -0400

Bill Schottstaedt wrote:

>But your point about the 31ths comes up even when the experts are
>trying to make this all logical and easy -- Read's book, if I remember
>right, gets tangled up in 11ths.  I've seen many different choices
>in actual music.  As I wrote cmn, it really dawned on me how illogical
>music notation is; its real task is to communicate between composer
>and player (or reader anyway), and there you constantly hit questions
>of expectations and clarity, etc -- I should write a book.

Hi everyone:

  Just FYI, Read says on p.188 of his book :

  "If the time unit is a quarter note (as in 5/4, 4/4, or 3/4), then an
irregular group of 11 notes occupying three beats (equivalent to six
eighth-notes) would be beamed as eighth notes. In the same measure [i.e.
meter], an irregular group of 13 notes would be beamed as sixteenth notes."

Best,

dp