[CM] CVS cmio error

Dave Phillips dlphillips@woh.rr.com
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:08:33 -0500

Rick Taube wrote:

> ... im trying to simplify building CM and im not quit done so cvs is a
> bit unstable.
> basically  non-standard features have become "breakout packages" that
> are all loadable via an ASDF based function called USE-SYSTEM. so
> (use-system :portmidi) compile/loads portmidi support for example.
> also cm doesnt screw around anymore with anybody's package locks or
> redefining cltl reserved symbols so its a very modular and well
> behaved system now.
>
> its not done yet but the new documentation is ready:
>     http://commonmusic.sf.net/doc/install.html
>     http://commonmusic.sf.net/doc/dict/use-system-fn.html

Ouch, it looks like this old dog must now learn some new tricks. I admit
that the previous method was simpler for me. Some questions: If I want
everything loaded into CM (Fomus, PM, CMN, CLM, the works), do I need to
issue a use-system for each one ? Also, what if I don't want to place
all my Lisp components into one directory ? Will that adversely affect
how I build/start/use CM ?

Will I need to call use-system if I want to use the CMIO panel or can I
still conveniently invoke the component programs from the panel ?

Btw, happy holidays to Rick and all cmdist users and developers !

Best,

dp