[CM] question on audio distributions, CCRMA or Agnula, others?

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:13:22 -0600

> .Rick, how difficult would it be to have a read-only "cm.sh" in
> /usr/bin, which compiled code into a *user's* binary, say,
> "~znmeb/bin"?

#!/bin/sh
lispcmd --eval (progn (load "/path/to/cm/src/make.lisp") (make-cm
:bin-directory "~/whatever") (cm))

but i dont see the sense of everyone having their own fasl tree since
the sources are the identical. in fact i dont really see the utility of
storing cm's fasls outside of its tree at all but thats probably why i
would make a bad sys admin. but running lisp programs isnt like running
c programs where you install a single exe file under /bin and then
remove .o files.

to install cm i would unpack the tarball and then call cm/bin/cm.sh for
every lisp command I had on my system. then isntall a symlink 'ln -s
/usr/bin/cm /path/to/cm/bin/cm.sh' so users can simpy type 'cm'

just allow cm.sh to save its fasls under its own bin/ directory -- it
will automatically maintain differnt fasls subdirectories for each lisp
you have on the system.  if you do it this way then people can start up
in any lisp they want to:
cm -l clisp
cm -l sbcl -e emacs
or whatever

If you find it necessary to save the .fasls outside of the tree, then a
script something like the one above could do it.