[CM] ETF or MusicXML output for CM?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb@cesmail.net
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:48:38 -0800

Niklas Kambeitz wrote:

> As for Score, I've never used it and it seems expensive at $750. Your
> hatred of Finale is shared by many, but they got a lot of things
> right, and until a better (and hopefully open source) notation program
> comes along, we're kind of stuck with it.

How about Rosegarden and Lilypond? They are decidedly open source; I've
got them loaded on my Linux music systems but I'm not by any stretch of
the imagination an expert on notation software, since I don't usually
compose for conventional instruments but for the computer itself as an
instrument.

I would think you could at least try getting notation for your pieces
from Rosegarden and Lilypond, then file bugs against them if they make
the same mistakes Finale or Sibelius do.

And of course CMN is open source, right?