[CM] Re: cannot run cm script on Linux SBCL

17 Aug 2005 11:04:55 -0700

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 08:25, Rick Taube wrote:
> > FC4 -- I guess the answer is to keep trying -- here I am
> > typing in a shell, with interspersed unprintable commentary:
>
> I wonder if you are being bitten by a memory randomization issue in
> fc4, see below (there seems to be lots of postings about problems in
> 0.9.3)
>
> ---
> 	From: 	  jsnell@iki.fi
> 	Subject: 	[Sbcl-devel] Re: problem building 0.9.3 under Fedora Core 4
> using CMUCL 19b

I'm building using the 0.9.0 binary image.

> 	Date: 	August 17, 2005 10:14:00 AM CDT
> 	To: 	  patrick.may@intamission.com
> 	Cc: 	  sbcl-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
>
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 12:09:45AM +0100, Patrick May wrote:
> > Near as I can tell, I've got some bad craziness related to threading
> > going on.  Can anyone lend me a clue?
>
> Are you compiling with gcc 4? There are some problems with threading
> and gcc4 (possibly solved in HEAD). Using gcc 3 instead might help.
>
> > *** glibc detected *** sbcl: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x096ee058
> > ***
>
> The FC4 kernel has some patches for memory map randomization, which
> (unlike the earlier versions) is automatically turned on for all
> applications. For full details see the "Memory randomization problems
> coming" thread on sbcl-devel. For now, either of the following solutions
> should work:
>
>   Disable randomization globally "echo 0 >
> /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space"
>   Start sbcl with "setarch i386 -R sbcl"

Hmmm, interesting... I was running on the Planet CCRMA low latency
kernel, probably does not have those patches. I should try to run on the
"normal" Fedora kernel and see what happens. Sigh, I will probably have
to release another version with the setarch workaround so it works on
all kernels.

-- Fernando