[CM] CM for live performance

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters@0x09.com
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:25:20 -0700

Howdy all,

I've been using Pure Data to do live performance for a few years, but
I'm getting frustrated with its patch paradigm, and I think I could
produce better stuff in a text based language. So I've started to look
at SuperCollider, JSyn, and CM. CM is the most attractive to me because
I love Lisp and it's open source, whereas JSyn doesn't seem to be OSS.

Does CM lend itself to live performance? Is it easy to build up GUIs for
interaction/control? What do most people use it for? I've searched the
web and haven't found too many examples of projects using CM; the
impression I've developed is that it's used for research, but not too
much for more everyday media. Is there any possibility of using CM along
with another Lisp library to do real-time video manipulation?

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts you can offer.
Cheers,
Ian Smith-Heisters
--
http://www.0x09.com