[CM] WACM

dave cope howell@ucsc.edu
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:41:12 -0800

--============_-1112445876==_ma============

Dear Colleague,

This summer, for the third year, we'll be offering the Workshop in
Algorithmic Computer Music (WACM) at UC Santa Cruz. Student
evaluations from the past two years have been uniformly positive and
we're excited about doing it again.

One of the things the students benefit most from is limiting the
workshop to fifteen students, which allows for a very high
student/teacher ratio. But it also means that people applying later
in the year may not get in.

So I'm sending you this email to remind you about the workshop and to
give you an opportunity to apply before our main publicity goes out.
I won't barrage you with details here (a general blurb appears
below), but if you're interested you can visit the website, which is
at:

http://summer.ucsc.edu/wacm

... and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any
questions. If you know anyone else who might benefit from the
workshop, please feel free to forward this message.

All best,

Dave Cope

Workshop in algorithmic computer music to be offered summer 2004

The first Workshop in Algorithmic Computer Music (WACM) will take
place from June 25 through July 9, 2004 at the University of
California, Santa Cruz (UCSC). Participants will learn the Lisp
computer programming language and create their own composition and
analysis software. The workshop will be held at UCSC's new Music
Center, which features state of the art facilities as well as
sweeping vistas of the Monterey Bay. David Cope, Paul Nauert, Peter
Elsea, and Soren Goodman will be among those on hand to teach and
advise workshop attendees. Participants will take classes on the
basic techniques of algorithmic composition and algorithmic music
analysis, learning and using the computer programming language Lisp.
Participants will create three significant software projects: a
Markov-based rules program, a genetic algorithm, and software modeled
on the Experiments in Musical Intelligence program. Music analysis
software and techniques will also be covered in depth. Many
compositional approaches will be discussed in detail including
rules-based techniques, data-driven models, genetic algorithms,
neural networks, fuzzy logic, mathematical modeling, and
sonification. Software programs such as Common Music, Max, Open
Music, and so on will also be presented and used.

The workshop offers 66 hours of class instruction and over 120 hours
of individual consultation.

Each participant will receive a free class reference manual, class
software in source code, and other printed and software tools and
guides relevant to the workshop's goals. Access to the world class
computer music facilities at UCSC will allow performances and special
lectures by invited guests. The workshop includes five daily hours of
individual computer time (with an advisor close at hand). Each week
will culminate in performances of participant works and presentations
of analysis and composition software. By the workshop's end, each
participant will have gained facility with Lisp, have written
compositional and analytical software programs, and be presented with
a CD of their compositions.

Prospective students must have an ability to read music and
understand basic music theory as well as have at least a basic
facility with computers (text editing, etc.). Students need not be
active musicians or programmers. Fee is $1750. Room and board is
available on campus if desired. 5 units of credit is available. For
more information or to download an application, please go to
http://summer.ucsc.edu/wacm.
--
All Experiments in Musical Intelligence scores are now available from
http://www.spectrumpress.com

Information on the third Workshop in Algorithmic Computer Music
(WACM) is available from http://summer.ucsc.edu/wacm.

And be sure to check out my website at http://arts.ucsc.edu/faculty/cope

David Cope
Department of Music
University of California
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
--============_-1112445876==_ma============

Dear Colleague,<br>
This summer, for the third year, we'll be offering the Workshop in
Algorithmic Computer Music (WACM) at UC Santa Cruz. Student
evaluations from the past two years have been uniformly positive and
we're excited about doing it again.<br>
One of the things the students benefit most from is limiting the
workshop to fifteen students, which allows for a very high
student/teacher ratio. But it also means that people applying later
in the year may not get in.<br>
So I'm sending you this email to remind you about the workshop and to
give you an opportunity to apply before our main publicity goes out.
I won't barrage you with details here (a general blurb appears
below), but if you're interested you can visit the website, which is
at:<br>
color="#EF1F1D"><br>
... and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any
questions. If you know anyone else who might benefit from the
workshop, please feel free to forward this message.<br>
All best,<br>
Dave Cope<br>
Workshop in algorithmic computer music to be offered summer 2004<br>
[...]
Music, and so on will also be presented and used.<br>
The workshop offers 66 hours of class instruction and over 120 hours
of individual consultation.<br>
Each participant will receive a free class reference manual, class
software in source code, and other printed and software tools and
guides relevant to the workshop's goals. Access to the world class
computer music facilities at UCSC will allow performances and special
lectures by invited guests. The workshop includes five daily hours of
individual computer time (with an advisor close at hand). Each week
will culminate in performances of participant works and presentations
of analysis and composition software. By the workshop's end, each
participant will have gained facility with Lisp, have written
compositional and analytical software programs, and be presented with
a CD of their compositions.<br>
Prospective students must have an ability to read music and
understand basic music theory as well as have at least a basic
facility with computers (text editing, etc.). Students need not be
active musicians or programmers. Fee is $1750. Room and board is
available on campus if desired. 5 units of credit is available. For
more information or to download an application, please go to
http://summer.ucsc.edu/wacm.</font></div>

All Experiments in Musical Intelligence scores are now available from
color="#EF1F1D">www.spectrumpress.com</font></div>
Algorithmic Computer Music (WACM) is available from
color="#000000">http://arts.ucsc.edu/faculty/cope</font><font
color="#EF1F1D"></font></div>
Department of Music<br>
University of California<br>