[CM] Building snd from source

Meino Christian Cramer Meino.Cramer@gmx.de
Sat, 22 May 2004 02:04:08 +0200 (CEST)

From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@notam02.no>
Subject: Re: [CM] Building snd from source
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 20:51:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Kjetil,

 some additional comments about the "getting louder and louder"-bug,
 which may have to do with it.

 I recorded a "snip" with my fingers with snd.

 I cut off the silence in front of the file.

 I pressed GO, which changed its face to "STOP"

 The "I am currently here"-bar moves from the start till the end (the
 whole file was visible. You do not need the slider to get to its
 end).

 But: As the bar reaches the end and the sound has defintely ended,
 the button does *not* change to "GO" again at once.

 After two seconds of "doing nothing" the button changes its face.

 Now:

 One can force the "increasing volume" bug by enabling looping and
 hitting GO while the first loop is still running.

 There is some misunderstanding between the "loop" """button""" at the
 very right side just below the sound graphs and the LOOP button which
 comes with dlp.

 If the right loop button is pressed, and you start looping with the
 LOOP button of dlp, you cannot get out of the mode of looped playing
 anymore without restarting snd, regardless what is pressed, depressed
 or so...

 Sometimes snd loops so heavy, that only a reboot (reset button of the
 PC must be used or the SYSREQ-key-sequence of Linux) revives the PC,
 since all CPU power is eaten up and no keyboard input is recognized
 by X11 anymore...

 In this case, snd (or someone else) prints "Too many open files" into
 its debug dialog.

 Hope it helps a little to catch the bug.

 Kind regards and keep snd'ing!
 Meino

 PS: Is "no" of your email address for "norway", Kjetil ?