[CM] Building snd from source

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri, 21 May 2004 04:02:10 -0700

 > Are there any plugins or such to create sounds out of the nothing or
 > do I have an "original" in any case?

The CLM generators are built into Snd, so you should be
able to make any sounds you like from scratch.  Probably
the easiest way is to use with-sound in ws.scm -- for
example,

(load "v.scm") ; the fm-violin
(load "ws.scm") ; with-sound
(with-sound () (fm-violin 0 1 440 .1))

and a window opens in Snd named "test.snd" (the default name)
with a one second fm-violin note.  Call it again and the
new output replaces the old.  In a sense, this was the
original goal of Snd, but then it took on a life of its own.

There are also LADSPA plugins, but (I'm about to step on
toes here...) I have never seen any point to them -- you
can do everything in Scheme using "native" Snd stuff,
and I bet there's little or no speed penalty if optimization
is turned on.