[CM] Building snd from source

Meino Christian Cramer Meino.Cramer@gmx.de
Fri, 21 May 2004 12:51:23 +0200 (CEST)

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@footils.org>
Subject: Re: [CM] Building snd from source
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 07:09:25 +0200

Hello Frank ! Moin moin !

 Thanks for your fast reply !

 Could you please so kind to mail me your .snd and /etc/snd.conf.

 Then I will try to use the gtk-gui and haveing two configurations
 files, which I know to work, make my life much more easier ;)

 I have to adopt the paths, though...but this should not be a problem.

 It alsp would help me a lot, if you could send me the output of your
 snd if starting it with

	 snd --help

 Will using gtk limit the features of the so built snd binary or does
 it "only" mean I have to use menus instead of buttoms?

 I want the complete dinosaure ! The T.REX...you know ? :O)

 Other questions:
 Are there any plugins or such to create sounds out of the nothing or
 do I have an "original" in any case?

 When trying to load ogg'ed files, (I have inserted examp.scm...) they
 will  loaded, I see a converting process on the shell's output from
 where I have started snd and then mpg123 will be called (which I do
 not have...).

 What's this? I thought the ogg'ed file will be converted to something
 "native" (au, raw, wav or such), which snd directly supports.

 And: After all, the "data" snd is trying to use then, are something
 but definetly no sound.... ;)

 (please also see below. Frank!)

> Hallo,
> Meino Christian Cramer hat gesagt: // Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
>
> >  I tried to build snd from source, which I freshly downloaded.
> >
> >  I entered different problems.
> >
> >  My question is:
> >   Is it recommended (for a building-snd-from-source-newbie) to build
> >   it with the motif or the gtk interface? ;)
> >   Do both interfaces provide the same functionality?
>
> I don't know, but if you build with Motif, you can run with those
> buttons, Dave Phillips made. They can be useful for a start and later.
> Personally I do prefer the Gtk version now and include Kjetil's
> snd_conffile.scm into ~/.snd instead, slightly adapted. With
> gtk-themes it just looks much better. Maybe it's possible to add a
> toolbar to the Gtk-version, as well. I'll need to explore that some
> time.
>
> >   My resulting snd does soemtimes enter an endless loop when first
> >   pressing "play in loop" and then "stop" -- I was bombed with "Too
> >   many files open" messages and had to reboot, since the computer
> >   was so busy in looping that it does not to respond to key input
> >   anymore.
>
> This happend to me as well, but it has snothing to do with the
> toolkit. It happens, when you have a small selection active, that you
> might not be able to see. Looping this will make Snd act like an
> oscillator. Try "Ctl-g" several times in that case.  I did unset
> looping in ~/.snd because of this:
>
> ;; Unset looping again here:
> (define islooping #f)
>
> >   Another thing while playing in loop:
> >   Sometimes the volume steadily increases with every loop until it was
> >   totally distorted.
>
> ???

  I mean sometimes a loop sounds it would like do as follows:

  While (StopBottom not pressed)
  {
		Volume=(a value above 1.0) * Voulme;
		Play(sound);
  }

  This happens like the initial value of Volume is already > 1,
  regardless of what the slider is set to.

  Hmmmmm....

  Unitialized variables deep inside the core of snd ????????

  Thank you very much for your help in advance, Frank!

  Keep snd'ing! ;)
  Meino