[CM] Snd and CLM

Gregory D. Weber gdweber@indiana.edu
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:17:37 -0500

Richard Liston writes:
 > On 03/12/04, Bill Schottstaedt said:
 > > > Unbound variable: defun
 > >
 > > "defun" is from common-lisp, but the lisp-like language in Snd is
 > > Scheme (Guile), so you need to use "define".
 >
 > Ah, that clears up a lot. I suppose there is plenty more where
 > that came from. Does "setf" become "set!"?

Yes, it does!  (At least for assignment to variables; setf can do more
than that.  Scheme also has "vector-set!",  "set-car!",  and "set-cdr!".)

>I know some lisp but I'm
 > not very deep into it. Do you know of a URL offhand with the mappings?

By mappings, you mean if I do X in Common Lisp, how do I do the same
in Scheme?  I don't know of a side-by-side comparison of Scheme with
Common Lisp.  But here are a couple of good sources on Scheme:

http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/projects/scheme/index.html
  The Scheme home page at MIT has links to "The Revised^5 Report
on the Algorithmic Language Scheme."  This is the official language
specification (or one of them: there's also an ANSI standard).
It's very concise: 50 pages.

http://www.scheme.com/
  Cadence Research maintains an online HTML version of Kent Dybvig's
excellent book "The Scheme Programming Language."

--
Gregory D. Weber
Associate Professor of Computer Science, Indiana University East