[CM] Re: Blender

kelly hirai bakanonaka@yahoo.com
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

i've been keeping up with blender for a while. the
post open source version is alot diferent than the
pre. they added a real raytracer, tabbed control
panels.

Blender's keyboard shortcuts are getting packed. ie.
u, alt-u ctl-u shift-u all have some function. i think
any modeler worth its beans is going to take some
study and practice [oh now don't wince, we're all into
music right?].

[a day later]

for that matter it would be cool if blender had a maya
keymapping setting as well.

i would be particularly interested in if anyone has
thought about the physics part of blender, the game
component has colision detection. anyone considered
how to gleen data from that? what fromat it should
take?
midi? csound? what othere codex are out there?

the offical blender 2.3 guide was released around
april. it has a quickstart tootorial. unfortunately
the game engine isn't covered in this book. i believe
there is another book comming on that subject.

i'm also impressed with the level of abstraction
pov-ray has atained. the short code contest is mighty
cool.

also of note in the 3d-sound crossover, archive.org
has a movie with perry cook's physical models,
animated. unfortunately, the shapes listened to in the
movie are regular geometric solid primatives, and so
its unclear to me if he is using his STK models or if
they are volumetric mesh solids with waves passing
through them and a listening location. anyone seen
this and know how it was made?

kelly hirai

Message: 1