[CM] fm and transposition

Charlieb baker@charlieb.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:01:32 +0000 (GMT)

Perceived frequency of timbres that contain non-harmonically related
components is not simple: although the gestalt principle of "common-fate"
or "common-origin" clearly identifies your bell sound as a unified sound,
the mechanisms of determining pitch of the sound are all confused:
our brains just can't make the upper partials fit the lower, if they are
not harmonically related: result is that the lowest strong component is
often selected as the pitch by the ear. Or any set of components that
re-inforce each other harmonically...or ? .
What with FM foldover around nyquist&'0'Hz, you can have a perceived
pitch that is not even related to the pitches of the waves modulated together!!

Ok, I guess this is pretty well known.
I wonder if John Chowning could get permissions to re-write the Yamaha FM
book, with corrections , later research, etc...and get it
re-published. Boy, what a benefit that would be to the community!
(Can one even obtain a copy of book these days?)

l&k - from an academic reject who still follows his field ;-).
char lieb
Charlie Baker              baker@charlieb.com
 "when everything isn't roses, you don't get
   any headroom" - Thomas Dolby "New Toy"