[CM] fm and transposition

Juan Reyes juanig@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
17 Aug 2004 21:08:28 -0700

I am not sure but this might bring back the old issue of Phase
Modulation and why Phase Modulation is a good implementation of FM.

In FM, if remember well, the carrier frequency is not always the
fundamental and also if you have a modulation index which is not an
integer and greater than 1 you might have "fold-over" of lateral
frequencies which might be the case of the fm-bell and low frequencies.
Therefore the spectra is not the same at different frequencies. A good
guess might be to try changing the modulation index or the C:M ratio so
that the spectra (amplitudes of partials) remains the same at different
frequencies.

 --* Juan