[CM] 2nd International Linux Audio Conference

Juan Reyes juanig@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:00:51 -0400

Bill,

The concept of ' algorithmic composition ' in real-time by itself sounds
pretty amazing. I have been toggling my mind about it since yesterday
and I still wonder how were you doing that in those days.

One can argue that real-time signal processing in programs like Pd or
even STK use algorithmic composition but for myself working with them,
narrows down to filtering which strictly speaking is not often part of
the composition process per se. In some other contexts it might be
regarded as interactive composition or even as improvisation. The more I
think this approach differs from trying to follow a procedure or an
algorithm in a composition to produce a sequence of musical events or
even a gesture.

  -- Juan Reyes