[CM] snd: xruns with alsa spdif device

rm@fabula.de rm@fabula.de
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:56:41 +0200

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:49:08AM +0200, Orm Finnendahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> trying to transfer soundfiles from dat to computer using the optical
> spdif input of an alsa supported terratec soundcard I get very
> sluggish behaviour of snd and lots of xruns. Using "arecord -D spdif
> -f cd <filename>" works fine without reporting any xruns, so I guess
> it's not the soundcard.
>
> I set SNDLIB_ALSA_CAPTURE_DEVICE to "spdif" (alsa's name for the spdif
> in pcm of the soundcard) before starting snd. Everything works as
> expected except for the abundant xruns. Do I miss something?

Hmm, this might easily be the result of trying to use a graphical
application vs. a commandline tool. AFAIK xruns are seldom introduced
by the soundcard, most likely there are processes that force context
switches which kill good scheduler behavior. What Kernel version
(and patches) are you running (and: on what kind of hardware?).

 Ralf Mattes