[CM] Snd user-interface

Rick Taylor ricktaylor@speakeasy.net
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:57:13 -0500

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 04:22:19 -0700
Bill Schottstaedt <bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> I got inspired by Paul Davis' Ardour interface to add a bunch of
> happy, pastel colors to Snd;  this sort of collides with its previous,
> universally admired, "you_are_in_the_Army_now" approach.
> Anyway, I have gritted the proverbial teeth, and now is the time
> to make user-interface suggestions.  (The Gtk version is almost
> usable!).

 Separate "modular" windows like sylpheed or emacs speedbar...

 One with graphical display, one to run a subset of emacs with an imbedded
 listener. One for the controls... maybe with the menubar at the top. {That
 way all of the controls could be within a short mousing distance of each
 other} Large wheels rather than the motif bars, popup meters.... All of
 these could be individually sizable and placed wherever the user wants them.

 I've always liked the idea of a speedbar-like directory menu that you could
 use to run macros from. That way you could just point the "notebook" at a
 particular directory and have the files show up like lines on a page. {I
 suppose you could get fancy with fonts and all} Click on the macro and it
 outputs to snd... right click and it pops up a menu with the options to edit,
 run, run in a specific manner, pipe through such and such, etc...

 You could set up the interface so as to be suited to banks of samples and
 use a tabbed, notebook style format with different user defined directories
 for each page or window.

 :} Text based sample banks...

 Maybe the alternative of a mac-like menubar across the top of the screen.