[CM] RE: osx-package

Rick Taylor ricktaylor@speakeasy.net
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:06:30 -0500

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 10:12:01 -0500
"Rick Taube" <taube@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> > I can open it by double-clicking the application icon, but
> > don't know how to
> > transform the command line in the shell script.
> > (From the terminal one must now write emacs -nw)

> Hi, if you installed the OSX 10.2 Emacs.app from porkrind then the
> terminal command
> 	% emacs
> Should automatically launch the GUI Emacs.app instead of the console
> emacs that comes with OS X. At least it does on my machine and I didn't
> do anything to get this functionality. But if 'emacs' does not start the
> Aqua emacs, then you can simply edit the script file in CommonMusic.app
> and use whatever command starts your Emacs.app. This script file is:
>
> /Applications/CommonMusic.app/Contents/MacOS/cm.sh
>
> Edit this file and put whatever command launches your GUI emacs. For
> example, if you want to use Xemacs then edit the file and uncomment out
> the xemacs launching line that I put in there in case someone wanted to
> use it. The command that cm.sh currently uses is:
>
> emacs   --load "/Applications/CommonMusic.app/Contents/MacOS/cm.el"
>
> IF that doesn't start your Emacs.app you might try starting it using the
> OSX 'open' command, ie something like this might launch CM in your Aqua
> Emacs:
>
> open Emacs ---load "/Applications/CommonMusic.app/Contents/MacOS/cm.el"
>
> Unfortunately Im at home on a piece of crap windows machine so I cant
> test it out. But if it doesn't work then 'man open' should tell you what
> you need to know.

 Ntemacs is about the same. Common music is available as well.

 This is to the Cygwin setup program...

 http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe

 Download it, click on it and follow the menus... It will install cygwin
 on your machine... {Very functional xserver, all the command line stuff,
 all kinds of xapps, etc...} You can opt to have it set up ntemacs. I,
 personally, prefer to use this version under windows:

 http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs

 You do want to read the faq as well as the manual.

 http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

 Alternately you can run this

 www.xemacs.org

 It has a similar setup program {Which also sets up cygwin.}

 Common music:

 http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/software/clm/
 http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/software/cmn/

> Regardless of which GUI emacs you actually use be sure to pass it the
> --load ... arg so that it loads the cm.el file.This is the file that
> does most of the work.

 You probably want to load it in your .emacs file... I'd suggest reading
 the emacs manual regarding proper setup and installation.