[CM] Using snd to search for skips in vinyl recordings

Robert Komar rkomar@telus.net
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:21:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, luis jure wrote:

> el Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:17:11 -0700 (PDT)
> Robert Komar <rkomar@telus.net> escribió:
>
> > I've been using snd for many years now to help with the recording of my
> > vinyl albums to WAV files.
>
> do you know Gnome Wave Cleaner? (http://gwc.sourceforge.net/). never tried
> it myself, but it's supposed to do exactly what you're trying to do.
>
> i know this is not what you were asking, but i thought it could be of
> interest anyway.

Hi Luis,
the project looks interesting, but as you say, it doesn't look like it
does what I'm asking for.  I'm currently not interested in removing
ticks, noise or crackle from my recordings (they don't really bother me).
The various denoising tools I've tried in the past seem to remove the
brightness from the music, and that bothers me more than noise does.
However, I will try gwc out if I can get it to run (I don't use gnome).
I might be pleasantly surprised.

So, I'm still looking for help on this.  As I said before, I don't know
Scheme, Ruby or Lisp.  If I have to solve this alone I'll probably
write a program in C to analyze the recording and print out the skip
locations, but having something embedded in snd where I actually do
the removal would be much nicer.

Cheers,
Rob Komar