[CM] Re: your CM plots

Orm Finnendahl finnendahl@folkwang-hochschule.de
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:33:41 +0200

Am 17. Oktober 2003, 06:15 Uhr (-0500) schrieb Rick Taube:
> Given that you already know how to output xfig data it would be very
> simple to define an 'xfig-event-stream' io class and then define the
> handful of methods that write xfig header data to it in the format you
> want. Then yuu just  define a write-event method for objects you want
> to plot, ie
> (define-method (write-event (obj midi) (out xfig-stream) scoretime)
>   ...)
>
> Another,  perhaps better route,  would be to define a mapping of
> plotter's classes (plots, axes and points) to xfig objects such that
> the call (xfig plot1 plot2 plot3) would output an xfig file version of
> the plot(s). The nice thing about this is that it would still be very
> useful even if i can get a display plotter working again.  The plotter
> code is on the ccrma ftp server:
> 	ftp://ccrma-ftp.stanford.edu/pub/Lisp/cm/sources/plotter.tar.gz
> The file plot.lisp contains all the basic (non-display) code for
> creating plots and axes.  This file could be easily converted to scheme.

Maybe I'll go for both suggestions. I didn't deal too much with the
object system and cm's class structure, io-setup and such yet but
that'll give me a reason to explore it. Is there any documentation
apart from the dictionary and the source? I remember having read
through the sources getting lost in recursive iterations while trying
to figure out who is calling whom. In addition I have to finish a
piece, so it might take a while. But I agree that it'd be handy even
if plotter got ported (maybe even more so).

In the meantime, the impatient can contact me off list to get the code I
wrote so far.

--
Orm