[CM] CLM versions

Tim Lavoie tim@fractaldragon.net
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:42:53 -0500

    >> then if there is here any debian user i have a
    >> question/poll...: which one of this two options would you
    >> prefer: 1)a package with the lisp image or 2) a package with
    >> source that compiles while clm is installed?
    >>
    >> my personal preference goes for 2), and that is how it is
    >> packaged right now.

    Fernando> Any reason why? I don't know much about debian, but in
    Fernando> the distributions I know packages do not compile at
    Fernando> install time. At most they use pre or post-install
    Fernando> scripts to tweak things, never to build the package
    Fernando> binary.  I've been using 1) for a long time to package
    Fernando> cm/clm/cmn for Planet CCRMA.

Actually, some packages do come as source, typically for licensing
reasons. For example, all of Daniel Bernstein's programs (such as
qmail) are built into binary .deb archives when you install the source
deb. It does work well if it fills a need.

--
I got this powdered water -- now I don't know what to add.
                -- Steven Wright