[CM] multiple sound cards

Vincent Arkesteijn vincent@arkesteijn.net
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:42:37 +0100

Hi,

I decided I'd try to install and play with CLM a bit. I downloaded
ftp://ccrma-ftp.stanford.edu/pub/Lisp/clm-2.tar.gz today. Two tiny
comments and one request for help:

* I normally put all common lisp related stuff in ~/common lisp (note
  the space). This breaks most calls to cc and ld in all.lisp, since
  the space is not escaped from the shell when calling cc and ld. I
  started putting lots of "'" in a lot of calls to concatenate in
  all.lisp, but there were just too many. So I cheated and moved clm
  to another directory.

* I normally use SBCL (on Linux 2.4). README.clm says (near the start):
  "If your systems isn't supported yet, load "all.lisp" anyway, ...".
  So I did that. I was quite surprised to see that it seemed to compile
  rather well, but a while later I read (all the way at the end of the
  same file): "SBCL isn't supported yet ...". I would have appreciated
  to have read that earlier, so could you move this comment someplace
  closer to the list of supported platforms?

[Now switching to CMU CL 18c]
* I have two sound cards. /dev/dsp is a Logitech Soundman Games (don't
  laugh) and /dev/dsp1 is a Soundblaster 16 clone. An excerpt from dmesg:

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 3.01 detected OK (220)
<Sound Blaster Pro (8 BIT ONLY) (3.01)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1
SB DSP version is just 3.01 which means that your card is
several years old (8 bit only device) or alternatively the sound driver
is incorrectly configured.

sb: Creative ViBRA16C PnP detected
sb: ISAPnP reports 'Creative ViBRA16C PnP' at i/o 0x260, irq 7, dma 3, 5
SB 4.13 detected OK (260)
<Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)> at 0x260 irq 7 dma 3,5
<Sound Blaster 16> at 0x330 irq 7 dma 0,0

sb: 2 Soundblaster PnP card(s) found.

  Both cards work well with other software. CLM doesn't seem to like
  8-bit cards, so that rules out /dev/dsp (I'm not really complaining
  about that). After this, I tried to use /dev/dsp1. After reading
  some of the source, I tried
  (setf *clm-player* (lambda (name) (sl-dac name 1)))
  Is that the normal way to select a different sound card? It still
  complained about little endian short (16 bits) not being available,
  so apparently it didn't help. Some more reading taught me about
  mus-audio-systems:
  * (mus-audio-systems)

  1
  *
  This seems to suggest that clm only found my first sound card. Am
  I correct? I tried to read audio.c and to understand how the sound
  cards (= audio systems ?) are discovered, but somehow I got lost in
  all the #ifdef's. Could you pherhaps suggest some more diagnostics
  I could perform?

Regards,

Vincent Arkesteijn.