[CM] new cm-2.4.0 tarfile available/install help

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Thu, 22 May 2003 08:39:31 -0500

> I have used clm and ATSH with clisp and
> cna you give me a rundown or a link to get started with an install and
> some initial tests?

sure, happy too. If you really want to get work done, do the following:

1 First, on OSX dont use clisp (unless you really love it) use OpenMCL.
OpenMCL is free, has a great compiler, ffi and is very fast. would
recommend that you install the binary version, ie don't try to build it
from sources. You can get OpenMCL from
	http://openmcl.clozure.com/

2. Get and install the latest OSX binary release of XEmacs from the
Fink Project. There maybe several steps to this, depending on what you
already have installed on your OSX machine:

   a) If you dont have Fink installed already you need to do that first:
	http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/index.php
   b) Next install Apple's X11 server:
	http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/download/
      after you install it you probably want to put a script in your
Startup folder that launches X11 everytime you login.
   c) You might want to intall Apple's Developer Tools as well:
	http://developer.apple.com/tools/index.html
      This is 700+ megabytes, CM uses exactly one file from it :)
   d) Install Xemacs from Fink with all of Xemacs' pacakges -- don't try
to save disk space
      with emacs, its pointless. Here is a url to the Fink "sumo"
install:
	http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/xemacs-sumo-pkg

3 Get the latest CLM and CM sources from CCRMA's ftp server and install
somewhere. I would recommend that you keep your binary files and your
source files seperate. For example on my machine I have a top-level
Lisp directory, and then have a bin/, adm/, clm-2/ and cm/
subdirectories under that:

	/Lisp/adm/
	/Lisp/bin/cm-2.4.0/
	/Lisp/bin/clm-2/
	/Lisp/clm-2/
	/Lisp/cm-2.4.0/

4 Write a little script file "/Lisp/adm/makecm.lisp" or whatever that
you can always use to build your image.  This is what my makecm.lisp
file looks like:

(defparameter clm-directory "/Lisp/clm-2/")
(defparameter cm-src-directory "/Lisp/cm-2.4.0/src/")
(defparameter clm-bin-directory "/Lisp/bin/clm-2/openmcl/")
(defparameter cm-bin-directory "/Lisp/bin/cm-2.4.0/openmcl/")
(load (concatenate 'string clm-directory "all.lisp"))
(load (concatenate 'string cm-src-directory "cm.lisp"))

5.  Start up OPENMCL and the load your 'makecm.lisp' file.  This will
compile and load CLM and CM together. This is what I do on my machine:

hkt@pinhead:/Lisp [76]% openmcl
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.13.2!
? (load "/Lisp/adm/makecm.lisp")
[... lots of compler messages ...]

6. When the load is done, quit and restart Lisp, then load your
makecm.lisp script again:

[...]
? (quit)
hkt@pinhead:/Lisp [76]% openmcl
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.13.2!
? (load "/Lisp/adm/makecm.lisp")
[...]
; Saving startup script: "/Lisp/bin/cm-2.4.0/openmcl/cm"
; Saving Xemacs startup script: "/Lisp/bin/cm-2.4.0/openmcl/xcm"
hkt@pinhead:/Lisp [79]%

Thats it. you now have an xcm script in your cm binary directory. Use
it to start up CLM+CM under Xemacs with a spiffy Lisp menu and a
dedicated Lisp Listener window.

see, what could be simpler?