[CM] "System error" loading Common Music

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu umbpux@tin.it
08 Mar 2003 21:12:21 +0100

Hi Larry.

In fact I discontinued a discussion with you for lack of time. Sorry.

On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 18:45, Larry Troxler wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2003 18:56, Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm trying to load Common Music in the Scheme interpreter embedded in my
> > application. I'm using the Guile interpreter distributed as snd-guile
> > and my system runs PlanetCCRMA/RedHat 8.0.
>
> Out of curiosity, which application is this?

It is a performance environment (MetaControl), a revision of softwares
that I made in past. Version 1.0 will have a reduced set of controls
(simple grid with zoom, hypervectorial control (soon to be multi-layered
with control on the behaviour of each spot) and multigrid) but they will
work better than normal GUI widgets and provide more informations and
are designed to work well with a graphic tablet (currently X-input but I
think will switch to a direct interface so that I can oscillate between
relative to absolute mode), cascade key-binding management, basic (that
is single-threaded at the moment) scripting with a console and a script
browser, remote file chooser (via NFS or SSH, not implemented yet,
suggestions welcome). Currently it can receive MIDI and FUDI and send
FUDI, my current target synth being PD (I use MIDI input for my school's
pocketfader). Plans are to support MIDI, FUDI, OSC for both input and
output.

The concepts used in MetaControl are: targets, variables, snapshots,
spots, canvases, scripts, keybindings.

I'm using the following technologies: C++, SigC++, Gtkmm 1.2, libxml++,
Guile, CommonMusic (working fine right now but limited by the
single-threaded architecture), ALSA.

The rationale for this application is that I'd like to have something
really designed to be used. I can spend time programming but there has
to be a point where things works very well and I can focus on using them
(right now PD is fine as synthesis engine but not as UI). It's just the
other face of plugging GUI toolkits into synthesis languages. Each of
these approaches has pros and cons.

No releases yet. If you want to give it a try it's here:

http://agnula.org/~maurizio/metacontrol-0.1.tar.gz

(the server host is problematic...) Please note that it's not a release
(I'm not even updating the version number) and that right now it is not
even copyleft. It needs some more work and testing and then I'll release
1.0 under GPL.

Thing I'd like to have in succesive releases are: modal key-bindings,
support for LADCCA (probably just embedding alsa-patch-bay), a generic
canvas editor (currently you have 1 canvas == 1 control, except for an a
window with sliders that is built automatically), support for specific
applications like PD or SuperCollider. But I don't know when I'll work
on them because I think I will not do much software development for the
rest of this year. Let's see.

> I am thinking of the trying to load a guile/ Common Music in to PD.

I think we should keep an eye on each other work because we have to face
few issues in common.

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu.