[CM] cm with openmcl and xemacs

Orm Finnendahl finnendahl@folkwang-hochschule.de
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 21:03:56 +0200

Am Freitag, den 04. Juli 2003 um 20:41:19 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Johannes Quint:

> (i am new with opensource, so maybe this is a trivial question...:)
> trying to launch cm with openmcl via xemacs, i get the following error:
> /Applications/cm-2.4.0/bin/xcm: [: too many arguments
> logout
> /Applications/cm-2.4.0/bin/xcm: xemacs: command not found

The error seems to imply that the process, who tries to call xemacs,
doesn't find the binary. This can be due to:

1. The binary isn't installed

2. The binary is installed in a location, where it isn't found by the
   calling process.

To troubleshoot it:

Try to launch xemacs from a terminal by typing 'xemacs' at the
prompt. If that works, try to launch the process which is going to
start xemacs (openmcl?) from the very same terminal. If it didn't work
in the first place, check the $PATH variable with the command
'echo $PATH'. This command lists the paths, which are checked by the
shell to start programs. If the Path containing xemacs isn't
contained, you either copy/move the xemacs binary into any seen path
(dirty), or set a link to the binary in a seen path (less dirty), or
add the path of the xemacs binary to your $PATH environment
variable (e.g. in bash: 'export PATH={$PATH}:<xemacs_path><cr>')

BTW what I explained is not exactly open source, it's plain unix.

--
Orm