[CM] Why are containers named? - and typing!

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:35:03 -0500

Rick Taube wrote:

> Your message seems to imply that you are forced to use names but actually
> you are not. so if you dont like them dont use them.  orighinally name were
> added so you could use #!foo inside quoted lists of data (item steams.) .
> but as you say saving a container can be a problem without a name since load
> does not return a value. im not sure what to do in this case.

The only situation where I need to use the names is for containers
loaded from "save-object".
But really I see now that it's a minor issue that I shouldn't have
bothered you with -
I have a collection of short-cut function I use for editing tasks
(similar to Stella but much more crude and customized), and all I need
to do is make these macros (or add a macro wrapper for all of them) that
uses find-object. Then I can save the tendons in my fingers!

Completely OT below:

Wow! It occurs to me that I type "#!" by holding the left shift key down
with the left hand fifth (little) finger, and then reaching with the
other fingers for the "3" and "1" keys. From what I remember from my
high school typing class (which embarrassingly I did exceptionally well
at, being a pianist at the time - I say embarrassing because I'm a guy
and the teacher wanted me to enter into some sort of typing
competition), well, what I remember is that you're supposed to use the
opposite hand on the shift key. I suspect that the reason I never was
able to follow that advice is precisely because of my piano playing
experience.

On a piano keyboard, there is no such thing as a pair of equivalent keys
that can be played with either hand. And furthermore, stretching the
hand to reach for chords in piano playing is natural and instinctive,
unlike what is taught in typing.

So, having learned the piano before I learned typing, and since both
activities are mostly subconscious, well, it seems that this chording
behavior stuck and could not be unlearned.

Sorry for the OT, I probably should just send this to David Sudnow
(Way(s?) of the Hand author) instead!

Larry Troxler