[CM] Minor nitpick - tab chars in CMN source

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 20:46:57 -0500

Bill Schottstaedt wrote:

> > The CMN source code seems to have hard tabs in it, which makes the
> > indentation all strange.
>
> I don't know what this means -- I use only emacs, and type tab all the
> time.  The various emacs modes differ in how they respond to a tab --
> are you reading the code in Lisp mode?

What I meant was that the files in the CMN distribution use ASCII tab
characters ( 0x09 ). This is what I meant by hard tabs. So, this issue
is independent of any editor - I'm talking about the actual bytes in the
source files.

Personally, I think this ancient thing should just go away, because it
means that whenever you load such a file, you have to know what the
expected tab spacing is for that file. However, I recognize that this is
not a universal opinion, so I asked if this was intentional or not.

Larry Troxler