[CM] learning scheme/lisp

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri, 08 Aug 2003 05:40:26 -0700

Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> I have mostly used snd with DP's gui .scm plugins. I have a desire
> lately to learn to use scheme/lisp.
>
> I am interested in documenting everything I learn and turning it into
> a very detailed guide to scheming in snd/clm.
>
> I have been trying to replace everyhting I do at the gui with a lisp
> command.
>
> For you guys that already know this stuff, what could you suggest to a
> person starting out?
>
> I think it would be cool to eveuntually write a plugin to interact
> with festival within snd.  It probably should not be to hard since
> festival can be scripted through sceme already.
>
> Is there a clisp equivalent to equivalent to doing (start-snd)in clm?
> In clisp I triend (start-snd) and it produced a #t.  When I launched
> snd manually and thype (start-snd) it returend #NIL. Can I send output
> to snd in clisp?
>
> I noticed also that in snd6.9 I could type (jc-reverb 2.0 #f .1 #f)
> this applied chowning reverb to the entire sounfile.  in snd6.11 it
> tells me the fuction is not defined. Do I need to load a .scm to
> define that function?  If so what file is it?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremiah

I don't know anything about festival -- will check it out.  I don't know
of any good Scheme intros -- perhaps the "teach yourself scheme"
files at http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme.html
or http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/wilson/schintro/schintro_toc.html.

On clisp -- the CLM/Snd connection needs the foreign function
interface (it works by finding and changing window properties,
and that's impossible in Lisp itself).

The jc-reverb change was in 6.10 to make all the CLM-style
instruments the same.  The form that uses map-channel (the
old way of using it) is in new-effects.scm.  Perhaps there's
a way to automate this -- it seems like it could tell the context
it's called in -- will check.