[CM] CM 2.4.0 (Guile and CL)

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 06:53:55 -0500

cm-2.4.0 is now available from ccrma:

ftp://ftp-ccrma.stanford.edu/pub/Lisp/cm/sources/cm-2.4.0.tar.gz

As you can see, there is only one archive, and its the source archive not a binary one. I think there are now free expanders on all operating systems that can handle tar.gz files correctly. On the Mac you can use MacGzip and SunTar (I dont think Expander handles unix->text conversion correctly.) The CM build process itself takes care of establishing Mac "file types" automatically.

Starting with this release CM runs in Guile 1.6.0 as well as CL. The system should work exactly the same in the following Lisps:

  Guile 1.6.0 (Linux, Windows+Cygwin)
  MCL 4.2, 4.3 (MacOS 9.2)
  ACL 5.0, 6.0 (SGI, Linux, Windows 2000)
  CLISP 2.28 (Linux, Windows 2000)
  CMUCL 18d (Linux)

The Guile sources are my "official" sources. I now develop with these and then automatically generate CL sources from the Scheme sources using a translation program I wrote to do this. (src/stocl.lisp)

This release is a 100% brand new code. It should behave exactly the same in Guile and CL. THe only thing really missing at this point is support for direct-to-CLM-audio files. I've left this out until I have time to look at CLM/Snd in Guile. Its the very next thing on my list. Subsequent releases will add (back) CLM audio files, midi ports, plotter, and hopefully, realtime processes.

The docs have changed as well. The reference has now been split up into small files for each entry. The main entry point into the reference is
	doc/dict/dictonary.html
Ill have more to say about this in the next few weeks.

There are some important differneces between this version and previous versions. Please read the cm-2.4.0/readme.text file and the doc/changelog.text file. I would also recommend that you look at the file etc/examples/intro.cm even if you know what you are doing because it gives an overview of the main new features.  It is also what I used to (minially) test CM in each Lisp.