[CM] which lisp/scheme for future use?

marco trevisani marco@centrotemporeale.it
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:18:54 -0400

Il 07/10/2002 alle 06:24:04, -0700, Bill Schottstaedt ha scritto:

> cmn could be translated to scheme; I'm hesitating because, frankly,
> I'm not sure what to do with cmn in general; it needs a user-interface,
> but that's a lot of work; I don't know what direction to push it in.
>
> What does the CM community want?

I have the impression that a very professional notation tool, does not
gain much from a Graphical User Interface. Code writing is fatser than
moving around the mouse.
Maybe it would be less work to think about a common output format that
allow users to import the score into another software (like rosegarden
or similia), or from another software into cm....

I would see with great pleasure a good linux MIDI output and....
input... and, that is maybe useless, a possible interaction with clm,
something like (cmn stff treble (clm-notep (violin ...)... this raise of
course various problems, i.e. interpretation of symbols like legato
etc....which make me think that such development would be **easier**
by connecting cmn with cm first... so this would be a really tight
connection between clm/cm/cmn.

the second problem that this solution would raise would be about a more
solid clm real time section -that's why clm-notep ..;-) - well i don't
know how it works with other platform and lisps, with linux and cmucl,
clm real time does not look like a completly developed feature.

This is less than a suggestion...is what i would love to see, just out
of my mouth without thinking deeply about possible technical problems.

Certainly i think, on my side, that it would pay back more on developing
these kind of features rather than working on a user interface tool.

	ciao,
	marco

* marco trevisani                                                      *
* http://trevisani.mine.nu   marco@centrotemporeale.it                 *
* http://www.agnula.org -- A GNU/Linux Audio Distribution              *
* Neither MS-Word nor MS-PowerPoint attachments please:                *
* See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html           *
* Gpg Fingerprint = 6096 84B8 046C A5C9 B538  255E 9FFF 1121 3AFB FFA6 *