[CM] some CM questions (long)

Dave Phillips dlphilp@bright.net
Sun, 06 Oct 2002 13:59:54 -0500

Rick Taube wrote:

> your problem is that you must load CLM before building CM, othewise CM cant
> have access to CLM symbols when it builds. Do this:
>
> 1 Delete all cm fasl files (compiled files) whereever they are.
> 2 start up the base cmucl image, ie without clm or cm already in it
> 3 load CLM:
>     (setf clm-directory "/whatever/")
>     (load "/whatever/all.lisp")
>
> 4 load CM:
>     (load "/whatever/cm-2.3.4/src/cm.lisp")
>
> 5 wait until CM compiles its sources then quit CMUCL
> 6. Then do steps 2,3,4 again.
> This time only binary files will be loaded, ie no compiling and a lisp image
> file will be saved somewhere, perhaps in the cm/bin subdirectory. this is an
> image that you will start cmu up with. once cmu boots it will have clm and
> cm loaded into it/
>
> 7. after booting the newly saved image try compiling and loading
>     the ins file i suggested.
>     (compile-file "/cm-2.3.4/etc/examples/fm.ins")

Okay, everything's groovy up to this point. But there's a wreck on the
highway starting here :

* (load "etc/examples/fm.cmucl")

;;; Running /usr/bin/ld...
;;; Done.

Error in function UNIX::SIGSEGV-HANDLER:  Segmentation Violation at
#x100A4ABD.

Restarts:
  0: [CONTINUE] Return NIL from load of
"/home/dlphilp/cm-2.3.4/etc/examples/fm".
  1:            Return NIL from load of "etc/examples/fm.cmucl".
  2: [ABORT   ] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(UNIX::SIGSEGV-HANDLER #<unused-arg>
                       #<unused-arg>
                       #.(SYSTEM:INT-SAP #x28295FB8))
Source: Error finding source:
Error in function DEBUG::GET-FILE-TOP-LEVEL-FORM:  Source file no longer
exists:
  target:code/signal.lisp.
0]

And when I select 2 I receive an endless series of this message :

	*** Sigsegv in page not marked as write protected

At this point I have to Ctrl-c until I get to the debugger which will
finally let me quit (i.e., none of ABORT processes work).

>    go form by form. i cant stress enough how much Xemacs will help in this
>    experimentation process.

I'd love to try Xemacs, but the version I've built won't load anything.
It fails telling me :

	"Feature not yet implemented: insert-gui-button requires 'annotations'
package"

and it fails whether I try loading a file from the File/Open menu or
pressing the Open button. <sigh>... I can load a file by specifying it
at startup 'xemacs foo.lisp' but not from within the GUI.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org