[CM] some CM questions

Dave Phillips dlphilp@bright.net
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 12:01:02 -0500

Greetings:

  I'm using the latest CM with CMUCL 18d. It's pretty new to me, so I'm
running into some dead ends and am looking for some help. Here are my
immediate queries :

  1) I open LISP, I run (load "src/cm.lisp") from ~/cm/ and everything
goes perfectly. At the end of that load I read and obey the message that
says :

[snip]
Byte Compiling Top-Level Form:
; Compiling "cm:src;html.lisp".

; Sources were compiled. To save Common Music
; quit and restart Lisp, then reload cm.lisp.
*

    When I run (load "src/cm.lisp") again it creates a cm.core file in
~/cm/bin/ :

; [snip]
[Doing purification: Done.]
[Undoing binding stack... done]
[Saving current lisp image into /home/dlphilp/cm-2.3.4/bin/cm.core:
Writing 19130936 bytes from the Read-Only space at 0x10000000.
Writing 3456872 bytes from the Static space at 0x28000000.
Writing 4096 bytes from the Dynamic space at 0x48000000.
done.]

    'file cm.core' says it's just data, and giving it executable status
with chmod +x doesn't work. When I try to run it the shell complains
that it "cannot execute binary file". Any advice on all this ? From the
README gather that I should be creating a binary, is that correct ? Or
is there some other way I'm supposed to run cm.core ?

  2) How do I inform CM that I want it to provide CLM output if I
specify it ? And how do I specify that I want the output going to a CLM
file ?

  3) Is it possible to send CM output directly to CLM or CMN ? If so,
how ?

  4) Docs on using CM are rather sparse. I notice that Tobias's home has
links to material but the links are no longer active. Can anyone
recommend more tutorial pages ? I also have Nicky Hind's pages, btw.

  Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to get a lot of hands-on with
CM and the other Common apps in a short time. Thanks for any and all
assistance !

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org