[CM] Snd freezing everything

Dave Phillips dlphilp@bright.net
Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:37:20 -0500

Anders Vinjar wrote:

> Some seriously odd behaviour here while being 'root'.
>
> Starting Snd as root, choosing "New" from the file menu freezes
> everything.  Only way out is to hit reset in the machine-room and
> having a hard reboot.
>
> This seems to be the behaviour across various alsa-revisions,
> across linux-versions and across (quite a few) hardwares.  Both
> Snd from this morning and a previous version (from Oct-31st)
> behaves like this.
>
> Any clues?

No clues, but Bill has warned me in the past about running Snd as root.
I don't think it's advisable: I ran into the same problem when I tried
it a while ago. Snd runs fine as normal user though. Is there some
particular reason you need to run it as root ?

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org