[CM] CLM-on-Mac improvements

bbattey@u.washington.edu bbattey@u.washington.edu
Mon, 27 May 2002 02:16:31 -0700 (PDT)

*Something* in the new CLM build appears to be causing severe compile
difficulties with one of my instruments (mac/mcl). It is a very fat (not phat,
but fat) instrument, broken up into about 10 macro calls. Prior to this last
update, it took 40-60 seconds to compile on my computer. With the new
version, I'm not actually sure it can compile at all: I give up after 15
minutes.

Specifically, CLM executes the MrC -shared_lib_export on -opt
speed,unroll,unswitch (etc.) command, ToolServer launches... but
ToolServer never succesfully completes its work.

At first I assumed this was a bug in my code that was not being trapped
properly and causing an infinite loop in MrC. So I commented out all of my
macro calls. Compile worked. I added in the macros one by one. The
compile time kept expanding, exponentially it seems, with each addition.
Until it exceeded 15 minutes...

At which time I gave up and compiled it with the old CLM.

I could send the instrument to someone if that would help, since I'm not
sure where to go from here in trying to track down the problem.

-=Bret

Bret Battey, DMA                                http://BatHatMedia.com
Center for Digital Arts and Experimental Media
University of Washington, Seattle   http://www.washington.edu/dxarts/

2001-2002 Fulbright Scholar to India, Pune University, Pune, Maharashtra
Department of Computer Science            http://cs.unipune.ernet.in/