[CM] CM on a PC

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Mon, 20 May 2002 17:49:36 -0700

> 1. I see that there are special instructions for getting midi to work on
> both Macs and SGIs. Does this mean that midi does not work on PCs or that
it
> woks with no special preperations?

It will work on windows if you write midi files. If you do this then the
Windows Media Player will automatically get called whenever a .midi file is
output.
So in the examples like reich.cm whenever you see a "midi.port" you should
change
it to "whatever.midi" where "whatever" is the name of the file you want to
write.
By default CM will write this file to the cm:tmp; directory. you can change
this by specifyong
some other directory in the file name. I think CLISP will allow these
pathnaes to use the unix
directory characger / instead of the the windows \ char (which always has to
be doubled in
lisp since its an "escape" char.)

Also, you should explicity set the tempo of you midi files to 60 instead of
the default 120
that is specified by the MIDI protocol. you do this by using the :tempo arg
to events, ie
(events ... "test.midi" :tempo 60)

> 2. Plotter is huge for me. I'm very much a visual person. Does Plotter
work
> on PCs or is platform specific?

no sorry it doesnt. it only works on the mac right now.

> 3. Does anyone know if CM works in the (beautifully documented) Franz
trial
> edition? Or should I just plan on using CLisp? Or some alternative?

it should work fine in Franz trial if they give you enough heap size. it
also works in clisp 2.27 and 2.28 on windows. you can get the prebuilt clisp
binary of cm from ccrma's ftp site.