[CM] Franz ACL CM install ?

Charlieb baker@charlieb.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:54:30 +0000 (GMT)

Well ,after several attempts, I did get clm-cmn-cm2.3.4 to compile in the
ACL trial edition:
but ATS failed.
All the problems stemed from Franz putting a rather small stack space
allowance in the kernel...anything large ("enterprise sized"), and it just
doesn;t compile. Whereas if you take severl passes at compiling the other
CCRMA/UIUC lisp code, you can gety it to just barely squeeze in, if you
try anything that is memory intensive (such as ATS), it will not compile.

I called ACL trial's memory ceiling "draconian" when I downloaded it, but
I don't think Franz paid too much attention...they don;t mind us music
types too much, as long as we pay like the big boys: unfortunately, we're
often cash l;imited. Like me.
I have to point out that Digitool's excellent MCL is now < $100....
now, if can get Franz to pay attention...the avg. hobbyist would kick out
$100-$200 , anymore, and...well...And another side of that
arguement
(that *I'll* never get a chance to make to Franz) is that enterprises
rarely order single licences, (unless they intend to cheat), and the main
effect of a poperly used single license is to develop another skilled Lisp
coder, one who hopefully is attached to your dev environment, and will
sell it to employers.

OK, nuf b***chin' 'bout Franz...I love ACL, I just can;t afford it.

CharlieB

Charlie Baker              baker@charlieb.com
 "when everything isn't roses, you don't get
   any headroom" - Thomas Dolby "New Toy"